Her Royal Orangeness's Reviews > I Wish Someone Were Waiting for Me Somewhere

Jun 30, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: short-stories, 2012, author-gavalda, authors-i-heart
Read from July 01 to 12, 2012

“Life can be changed in just one fateful moment.” These are the words printed on the cover of “I Wish Someone Were Waiting for Me Somewhere” and they perfectly encapsulate the overarching theme that connects these stories.

The stories in this collection are, for the most part, startling in a very understated way. For example, “Lead Story,” my favorite in this collection, is about a man who makes a decision to do something that doesn’t seem particularly out-of-the-ordinary, but leads to a devastating consequence.

Anna Gavalda is gifted at creating characters. In just a few pages, she presented characters so well developed and complex that they seemed like real people. But what I admired most about the stories is how they lingered in my brain. The imagery was fresh in my mind for days after reading them, and I continued to puzzle over the subtle life questions that Gavalda poised.

There were a few stories that I didn’t like much at all, but I think that was more a matter of a culture barrier than the quality of the writing. (Gavalda is a French author.) Overall, “I Wish Someone Were Waiting for Me Somewhere” is quite good and I enjoyed it. (3.5 Stars)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Wish Someone Were Waiting for Me Somewhere.

message 1: by Her Royal Orangeness (last edited Jul 07, 2012 03:40AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Her Royal Orangeness I don't like it as well as Hunting and Gathering which was one of my favorite books last year. The writing quality just isn't the same. But I'm finding, as I read through this slowly, that the stories linger. I haven't finished any of the stories with a sense of "wow" yet days later they are still vivid in my brain. So, yes, there's something powerful about this collection.

message 2: by Misha (new) - added it

Misha I bought "Hunting and Gathering" after I read your blog review. I am planning to read it soon - it sounds like such a wonderful book!

Her Royal Orangeness Hope you enjoy it Misha!

message 4: by Misha (new) - added it

Misha Thanks! :)

message 5: by Mona (new) - added it

Mona “I thought I didn’t think about her anymore, but all it took was to be alone for just one minute in a more or less quiet place, and she’d come back to me…
I never once asked myself whether I still loved her or what my exact feelings toward her were. That would serve no purpose. But I loved to find her at the detour of a moment of solitude. I must say it, because it’s the truth.”
— Anna Gavalda, I Wish Someone Were Waiting for Me Somewhere