Kevin's Reviews > Breakup: The End of a Love Story

Breakup by Catherine Texier

Jul 07, 12

bookshelves: nonfiction-or-memoir

Really raw stuff. Brutally honest and affecting.

A couple of representative quotes:
1. "It's not true that stories climax and resolve. It's only true in the make-believe world of fiction. In the real world stories get told over and over, like a Mobius knot."
And though Texier embraces this sentiment of stories "told over and over" her repetition is more about emotional release than really telling stories (I kind of wish there were more scenes, more stories).

2. "Passionate love affairs die hard. They convulse and writhe and agonize till the bitter end. But the bliss and the headiness of love is worth the agony of the breakup. Death always comes at the end of life."
Oh, the hard and brutal truths of life!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Breakup.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zellysgrrl (new)

Zellysgrrl I read this book when it came out, and still have it on my shelf along with a few others in that category (I even have an anthology of breakup stories called Dumped, that I used to keep in the bathroom until I realized the ewwww double entendre factor!) But yes, I loved this book, too. Certainly makes me feel differently when I'm listening to NPR and I hear a report by Joel Rose! The two of them used to put out a lit journal called 7th Between C & D (this when I was living first on 3rd, then later on 9th, between 1st & 2nd).