Rebecca's Reviews > Steampunk! An Anthology of Fantastically Rich and Strange Stories

Steampunk! An Anthology of Fantastically Rich and Strange Sto... by Kelly Link

Jul 07, 2012

liked it
Read from June 30 to July 07, 2012

I read "Clockwork Fagin" as a free sampler from Amazon and I was hooked. It was a bit gruesome, yes, but absolutely amazing. And so, I got the "real" book from the library. I'll write reviews of each short story as I go.

Cassandra Clare's: I really liked the dolls in this story, as well as the ending. But I think this could have been so much better if it was longer and gave us better detail. Just a few more pages and it could have been a 4.5. But as it is, I'd give this story a 3.

Libba Bray's: Interesting, but I don't really understand the point of the "religion." It didn't seem to add much to the story. 3.5 stars because I really like the setting.

Cory Doctorow's: as I said, I'd read this one in the sampler. I really like it. 4 stars.

Shawn Cheng's: interesting idea, but I don't really understand how this is steampunk. and there's also not much of a plot, perhaps because it's hard to develop a plot in 14 pages of comic book style drawings. 2 stars just because it didn't really go anywhere.

Ysabeau S. Wilce's: I really loved this one. I was hooked from the beginning, the climax did not disappoint and the ending was just "unperfect" enough to be perfect. 5 stars.

Delia Sherman's: Fun! I am enjoying that many of these stories feature resourceful, science (engineering)-minded females, and this one has a ghost too! 4 stars.

Elizabeth Knox: not looking good so far. *upon finishing*: yeah, it was lame. had some really good points but just seemed really out of place. 2.5 stars

Kelly Link's: If this wasn't supposed to be steampunk I would like it so much more, although I don't like the ending regardless. So, up until the last page, I would give this 4 stars, because I really like the idea of the Summer people. Overall, 3 stars.

Garth Nix's: ick. 2.5 stars, but I really wish i could give it less.

Christopher Rowe: could have been a couple pages longer, but I liked it well enough. 3.5 stars.

Kathleen Jennings': uggggh another comic. I just can't read them. 2 stars, but I didn't even finish.

Dylan Horrocks': stretched on a bit too long and wasn't really that steampunk, IMO. but was good besides that. 3.5 stars.

Holly Black: really interesting but too short. should have given some of Horrocks' pages to Black. 4 stars nonetheless.

M. T. Anderson: AMAZING. every single one of M. T. Anderson's short stories I have read I have loved. 5 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Steampunk! An Anthology of Fantastically Rich and Strange Stories.

07/04/2012 page 260
62.0% "Garth Nix's: majorly annoying so far."
07/07/2012 page 421
100.0% "Garth Nix's: majorly annoying so far."