Once Upon a Twilight's Reviews > Carnival of Souls

Carnival of Souls by Melissa Marr

Aug 30, 12

Read from June 30 to July 03, 2012

THIS BOOK WAS FANTASTIC! This was my first book that I finally read by Melissa Marr, I had others books by her in my personal library but never got around to reading since they were bought and not sent from publishers. I usually give all publisher books priority, so my bought books tend to get forgotten on the shelves. So that being said I am extremely grateful I was given a copy of Carnival of Souls to review. This book from page one until the last page was non-stop entertaining, like being at a carnival.

How does one explain such a complexed plot in a short review and sell its perfection. The book follows Mallory part of the time. Mallory has been raised by a father that's a witch. The majority of witches are living in the human world instead of The City. The City is where the Daimons and all sorts of just pure evil, reckless things live. Every generation they hold The Carnival in The City. This is the fight to the death carnival. All who enter must kill to move up and be crowned winner and respect. How does Mallory and The Carnival go together? Well Mallory has been taught by her witch father to trust no one and be cautious of everything. So when in the human world Mallory is assaulted by a Daimon and found, all hell breaks loose pretty much. Mallory begins to uncover truths that have been hidden from her. The City and its leader are on the hunt for Mallory and they will stop at nothing to get Mallory to The City. Will all the training Mallory has had save her for the Carnival of Souls? Maybe a very swoon-worthy demon might just be what mallory needs to protect her or he might be just the opposite.

I am so glad Melissa Marr did not try to fit the whole story in one book, because it would have not done it justice. The Carnival of Souls is one of my favorite reads this year. Melissa's writing just captivates you from the get go. The different point of views and memorable characters plus intense scenery make this book a masterpiece. When Melissa goes dark, you feel gritty reading it and when she gives us suspense, you hold your breath while you read and when she describes a look or touch, your heart yearns for that same touch that you read. Listen I don't need to keep telling how great this book is, when you pick up a copy in September, you will see for yourself what I am describing in my review. Its just a delicious piece of fiction YOU MUST HAVE!
4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Carnival of Souls.

06/30/2012 page 90