Kandice's Reviews > Afterwards

Afterwards by Rosamund Lupton

Jun 30, 12

bookshelves: books-read-in-2012, fiction, suspense
Read from June 29 to 30, 2012

Don't start reading this book until you can read it all the way through to the end. A combination of suspense, mystery, and family drama, this book will stay with you long after it's finished. While I enjoyed Lupton's first novel, I found I couldn't remember much of it later. I sincerely doubt I will forget this story for a long time to come.

Narrated by a mother who rescued her daughter from a burning building, the story weaves in and out as Grace tries to discover who would set fire to a school and tries to protect her children who may still be in danger. Made all the more impossible by the fact that Grace is in a coma and can only operate from a state in-between life and death, Grace struggles to find a resolution to the mystery while comforting her husband and young son, and saving her daughter's life. At times humorous, but more often poignant, this book touches on themes like a mother's love, life and death, and family abuse issues. Also including a beautiful description of how a soul may be born, this novel defies all classifications and leaves the reader involved and thinking way past the ending of the story. It's hard to see how Lupton will top this novel with her next one, but I can't wait to find if she does. With only two books to her name so far, Lupton is a force to watch.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Afterwards.