Cindi's Reviews > The Isle of... Where?

The Isle of... Where? by Sue  Brown

Jun 30, 2012

bookshelves: 2012, m-m
Read from June 30 to July 01, 2012 — I own a copy

4.5 stars, rounded up

Normally if the first book I read by an author doesn't do it for me I'm not likely to go back to that author regardless of how many people rave about their work. That was almost my case with Sue Brown. A few months ago I read something that I simply did not like at all. But for some reason I took a chance with The Isle of... Where?. I am so glad I did.

This was such a good story. It starts out heartbreaking. Liam is taking care of his best friend (Alex) as Alex is dying of cancer. I admit to getting teary eyed quite a bit during that particular part of the book. Actually, I got teary eyed throughout a lot of the parts of the book, all of which were in regards to Alex.

Alex's final wish is for Liam (an American) to scatter his ashes off the pier in the Island of Wight. (view spoiler). Liam makes the train ride to honor Alex's wishes but he can't force himself to let go of the last person in his life that he considers family. He feels that by scattering the ashes that he will have nobody. After several days of making the trip to the pier, he is still unable to do it. On the 6th trip he meets Sam. Liam is an emotional wreck and Sam, a total stranger, comforts him... not only comforts him but becomes an instant friend at a time when Liam is more alone in his life than ever. What follows that particular meeting was almost comical in a lot of places. Sam takes Liam to meet his grandmother, Rose, who was a hoot. I wasn't sure what I felt about her at first but then I totally fell in love with her later. Everywhere Sam and Liam go, there are people who know Sam. Those times kind of got old for me. Sure, his family is well known on the island but it seemed a bit overwhelming in my opinion. I love Sam's family... all of them except for his brother Paul. He was a bit much.

Sam and Liam bond pretty quickly. Sam comes across as a little stalkerish and demanding at times. I still liked him though. Liam was written perfectly. Their relationship happens fast... I mean REALLY fast. (view spoiler) Even though it happened quite fast, it was still enjoyable to read. I love how the author didn't play down the Alex thing when it came to Liam. Real emotion is shown and it was written so well that it got me emotional at times.

While I enjoyed pretty much everything about the book there were a few things that I wasn't sure about. Some were necessary to the story as whole but some weren't in my opinion. (view spoiler) While there are a couple of things that had me shaking my head, they did not detract from me really liking the story as a whole.

Overall this was a very, very good book. All of the characters were written well. The entire story was written well. While everything seemed to happen rush, rush, it didn't really seem like it. I kept waiting for Sam and Liam to get their happy ending. I was very pleased when they did.

I am glad I took another chance on this author. I will now look forward to reading more of her work.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Isle of... Where?.