DubaiReader's Reviews > Turquoise: A Love Story

Jun 30, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: 2012, e-book, kindle, netgalley
Read in June, 2012

At last, some reviewers who felt as I did about this book.

I was sent a free Kindle version of this book through NetGalley and out of respect to them, the publishers and the author, I forced myself to read all 450 pages. In my opinion this was not a well written book and I struggled to finish it. Although my review is not favourable, I feel I owe it to future readers to report honestly and without bias so that they can make their own decisions.

So, why did I dislike this book so much? Well, it was extremely wordy, over 150 pages too long, and incredibly self indulgent. A lot of the conversation I found quite immature and the endless ranting about the main character's 'one and only true Love' (with a capital L) was almost impossible to read. She pined after him for endless pages, especially in the last third of the book. I hate to skim read but at times I could do little else.

"My eighteen hours with him...skin on skin, breath in breath. Pristine and ordained. Brimming, Hieros Gamos, sacred union of the beloveds. Our bodies feel like a Homecoming with one another, like a cherished poem remembered verse and line. A sense of deep familiarity, of knowing and awaiting for from a time immemorial." Grammar and punctuation accurately copied.

The story begins in the early 1980s, although it is not until 100 pages into the book that we discover this.
Yasmin (who calls herself Yas when she talks *a lot* to herself), is a Turkish national who moved to the US with her parents to study in an American university. Her father is the Turkish Consul General and the family settle in Los Angeles. Her brother, Memo, stays in America but Yasmin eventually returns to Turkey to work as a child psychologist. She runs into an old school friend, Ani, and her husband, Renan. From this moment on she is smitten with Renan. Ani and Renan are Turkish Armenian and she is Turkish. This was never a problem when they were in school, but as adults, resentments become more apparent. Although the initial introduction to this conflict was little more than a weak conversation, it did develop into an interesting aspect of the narrative.
I have to say I liked Derya, the adopted daughter, who I couldn't help but fall for, but none of the other characters grabbed me in the slightest.

Apparently there is to be a sequel, entitled Emerald, but unfortunately, I think Turquoise is enough for me.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Turquoise.