Hock Tjoa's Reviews > Rebellion

Rebellion by Rachel Cotterill

Jul 01, 12

Read in June, 2012

The writing is good, the characters are well drawn, and the scenes are amazing. Much of the book has to do with the training of assassins and the fight scenes of their (individual and small group) exercises and competitions are as well drawn as any I have read.

But I don't know that "Rebellion" is the right title even if this is the first in a series. There is a minor scene with some "rebels" mentioned, but mostly we learn that Charanthe, the Empire, is threatened by Tarasanka. The Empire has a lot of rules and seems to believe that its individual citizens must be controlled and manipulated. Tarasanka has an "anything goes" approach to governance but that includes much thievery and torture. What seems to be the point is that there is mayhem in both societies but it is Methodical in Charanthe; I suspect that this is not the author's intention.

Given such over-arching choices, Ellie's sense of aggrievement at the lack of respect she gets as a woman seems to exist in a totally unrelated universe.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rebellion.