Stacia's Reviews > Midwinter Sacrifice

Midwinter Sacrifice by Mons Kallentoft

Sep 10, 12

bookshelves: nordic, crime-fiction, 2012
Read from September 06 to 10, 2012

This was a very atmospheric book, and I mean that in a good way. The Swedish winter was a fully developed character in its own right, and as this book is the first in a four-book series--one for each season--that bodes well for the other three books.

The main character, Malin Fors, is in some ways a departure from and in other ways typical of Nordic detectives. She drinks too much, she's cynical, and she's a bit bewildered when it comes to her daughter; but she's young and she's female, which caused me to confront some of my own prejudices as I read the book.

The plot is complex and full of twists and turns, and in some ways is not fully resolved, although the conclusion was satisfying for me as a reader--I didn't feel that the ending was a deliberate attempt to push me toward the next book. It ended the way it needed to end, so not having all the loose threads tied up didn't really bother me very much.

The next book is about summer. I think I should probably wait a month or two until it's no longer 95 degrees out every day before tackling that one :-)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Midwinter Sacrifice.

message 1: by Ulla (new)

Ulla Thanks for the tip, Stacia. I'm ashamed to say I've never even heard of this writer, and I live here in Sweden! Shows where my intrests DON'T lie!!!