Emily's Reviews > Between the Lines

Between the Lines by Jodi Picoult

Jul 01, 12

bookshelves: books-i-own, 2012-favorites
Read on July 01, 2012

I devoured this book! I was first planning to purchase this book as a NOOKbook, but when I opened it up at the store, I just had to buy the physical copy. The full-paged colored illustrations, the pictures placed beautifully around the pages, and different fonts and colors made this book so pretty. Normally you see books with amazing covers, but this was just all-around gorgeous!

I read this in about three hours. I wasn't sure what to expect, because I hadn't ever read the synopsis on it before. I was surprised when I found that it had lots of humor as well as romance and fantasy. The writing style was one of the things that I loved most. At first it starts with a small part of the actual fairytale. Then it jumps perspectives to Oliver, who is in the fairytale as an actor. After his section is done it jumps to Delilah, the reader of Oliver's story. Sorry if that sounds confusing, it really isn't that confusing if you're reading it. This book has many parallels to the middle-grade book Inkheart by Cornilia Funke, but I found that I enjoyed this one more. It involves the same type of plot, where fairytale characters enter the real world, as well as the way they both ended were really similar. This was a bit more moderized and a little more YA.

My favorite character had to be Oliver. He was always being funny and made the book a light, enjoyable read. (The illustrations of him are really pretty, too!) He was my favorite both in and out of the fairytale world.

Overall, I loved it. It was a great fresh read for YA fantasy. A cute romance!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Between the Lines.

Quotes Emily Liked

Jodi Picoult
“I’d much rather pretend I’m
somewhere else, and any time I open
the pages of a book, that happens.”
Jodi Picoult, Between the Lines