laaaaames's Reviews > Me and Earl and the Dying Girl

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews

Jun 30, 2012

liked it
Read in June, 2012

I guess all my reviews are going to be about race today!

I think I would have liked this so much more if ohhhh my god why was Earl such a horrible stereotype? Why did his dialogue have to look like that? Why did his conclusion have to be so frigging agggghhh are you serious with this. It's sad enough the real world exists (I'm not sure what I mean by that but let's just roll with it) but, seriously, book? The white kid gets this and the black kid gets that? AGGGHHHH. The white kid's family is this and the black kid's family is just a billion dudes havin' fistfights outdoors while their mom's a whore!

Which is a shame because I liked so much about this book. It's hilarious and touching and strikes tons of emotional chords that are real and earned. But racial stereotypes are awful and I do not like them in the world and I do not like them in my reading.

I also want to state, unrelated to anything thus far, this book has perhaps the best design of a book I've read in ages. Cover? Gorgeous. Chapter headings? Gorgeous. Overall layout? Yesssss.

Too bad about the racism!

(read: 52)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Me and Earl and the Dying Girl.