Rachel's Reviews > Let's Pretend This Never Happened

6200099
Mar 07, 13

bookshelves: tblb-book-club, blogher-book-club
Read from March 01 to 06, 2013 — I own a copy

If you don’t know who Jenny Lawson (aka The Bloggess) is, then you are totally missing out people! I first found out about her when some of the Tampa Bay Lady Bloggers were talking about her funny stories at a meet up. I immediately started following her on Twitter because anyone who does that crazy stuff had to have an awesome twitter feed. And she does. Then I started reading her blog and couldn’t stop laughing.

Let’s Pretend This Never Happened is a hysterical, witty, sad, emotionally jarring, mostly true memoir of Jenny’s life. She shares the stories from her life that she considers to be the most outrageous and at the same time completely true with a flair of exaggeration. Stories from her childhood in rural Texas and her slightly crazy (very eccentric), taxidermist father who brings home strange animals for pets. (If my dad brought home a dead squirrel, I am pretty sure that I would be scared for life too.) Stories about her battle with anorexia, anxiety and depression. Hilarious stories about her days working in Human Resources. (I will NEVER look at a copy machine the same way again. Or male coworkers for that matter. Just saying.)

I truly enjoyed reading this book. It made me realize that I have a somewhat normal life and my anxiety is not nearly as bad as I thought it was. Jenny’s stream of consciousness style of writing and gift for storytelling really makes this book a true pleasure to read. At times, I felt like I was at a dinner party listening to her tell talk about the time she was stabbed in the face by serial killer. I laughed so hard I cried and felt the pain of loss when vultures attacked her backyard. Jenny is able to put such a unique spin of life that it is hard not to love her book.

PS: If any of my friends open their front door to find a giant metal chicken staring at you, you were warned!

PPS: If you are easily offended by cursing, then this book isn’t for you. But if you love to laugh and can find something to laugh at during even the saddest moments in life, then you should totally read this book!

Disclosure: I was compensated for my review of Let’s Pretend This Never Happened (A Mostly True Memoir) by the BlogHer Book Club. As always, all thoughts and opinions expressed are my own.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Let's Pretend This Never Happened.