All Things Urban Fantasy's Reviews > The Warlock's Curse

The Warlock's Curse by M.K. Hobson

Nov 03, 2012

bookshelves: reviewed-by-kristina

Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

THE WARLOCK’S CURSE is a fascinating, dark, adventure story filled to the brim with steampunk science and technology. The first few chapters dragged a little but the second half of the story more than made up for the lackluster start with some startling revelations.

So much of a good steampunk novel comes down to atmosphere. The detailed, scientific explanations of various machines greatly helped with creating that tone though I could have done with a little less emphasis on a few of the more obscure scientific theories depicted in this book. What did work especially well was the history presented in THE WARLOCK’S CURSE with an uneasy mix of magic with technology. While Will’s curse is a horrible thing, I enjoyed the reason behind it since the explanation allowed for a more indepth explanation of how and why this world works the way it does.

As the protagonist, Will is a very headstrong character and I liked that he was so persistent and determined to achieve his goal to work for Tesla Industries. His stubbornness and inability to see the consequences of some of his more drastic actions were a tad annoying despite the excuse of his young age. That feeling was tempered by the frustration I felt on his behalf by all the secrets that were kept from him. That information would have helped a great deal if he had known beforehand.

THE WARLOCK’S CURSE started off slow but eventually picked up. The massive revelations were wonderfully surprising though I would have prefered to not be told it all at once as they were a lot to take in. All in all, this was a great adventure story set in a world brimming with magic and steam technology. The next book in the Veneficas Americana series, THE UNSTEADY EARTH comes out in 2013.

Sexual content: kissing, reference to rape

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Warlock's Curse.