Roanne's Reviews > Austentatious

Austentatious by Alyssa Goodnight

200913
Jul 13, 12

Recommended for: die hard Austen fans that are also huge chick-lit fans
Read from July 09 to 12, 2012

Note to self: No more books with a Jane Austen tie-in, or where the author is heralded as "the modern Jane Austen" or maybe even evokes Jane Austen in the review or the cover copy. To a one, they always disappoint.

To be clear, I think Alyssa Goodnight can write, and someday down the road, I'll perhaps peruse one of her books and see if she has (A) found an editor and (b) quit writing like she is getting paid by the word (see A).

I didn't find Nicola James likable, and was unsure if she was a 30something engineer or a teenager in heat. As for the rest of the story, I felt like the author had a checklist of very recent popular culture she wanted to pack into the book (cupcakes, SxSW, et al). But my main complaint, beyond the vapidity of the protagonist, is the overuse of the word "tip" in all tenses. Someone never opens a book, they always tip open a book. They always tip a book closed. And then everything else starts tipping ... her head tips up to look at him, his head tips down to kiss her, he tips the wineglass to his mouth, she tips the last of the cupcake into her mouth, a box is tipped shut, etc., etc. etc. Like I said, she needs an editor.
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Austentatious.

07/12/2012 page 183
57.0% "Hope to finish today so I can move on to better books."