Stacia (the 2010 club)'s Reviews > Seduced in the Dark

Seduced in the Dark by C.J. Roberts

Jun 30, 2012

bookshelves: adult, bdsm-or-person-in-control, contemporary-romance, dark-or-taboo, romantica-or-erotica
Recommended for: Anyone who can handle dark and disturbing books
Read in September, 2012

Adult review for taboo erotic content.
"Kitten," he said, "monsters can't love."

By the time I reached the halfway point of this book, I was ready to slap a big fat 1 star rating on this review and write a vengeful spiel. Yes, that's right. 1 star. I was seeing red. I was RAGING with fury.

So, you ask, "why now the 4 star rating?" Well, let's see...
It felt wrong to fantasize about such things - but Caleb didn't care. Fantasies were all he could have and no one could take them from him.

This book would have been complete shit without Caleb's point of view. If we had only seen Caleb through Livvie's eyes, we would have never fully understood him.

Caleb could feel Livvie's tears as they slid down her face. It was as close to crying as Caleb could get and for a moment he imagined they were his tears. They were his confessions. They said all the things he couldn't...because he was a coward.

The only way this book was going to work meant that Caleb's bad side had to continue to show on the outside while he was struggling internally with the idea of how to let down his guard. If he had gone soft too soon, or if he had gone completely soft, every single part of this book would have become a farce. I am thankful that neither of the former things happened. Caleb was never romanticized. This is a crucial element of a taboo read. The second the story becomes romanticized, the credibility is gone. We as the reader can feel emotion, sympathy, even fondness for these characters, but we need to be kept in the cold, hard truth that THIS situation is NOT good. That THESE people are SCREWED up. As long as we continue to see things for what they are, then we can allow ourselves to be swept away in the lives and emotions of our characters.

This story was just as much of a thrill ride as it was a mind screw. I was entertained. I was angered. I was scared. I was hesitant. I even found some grain of contentment when it was all said and done.

Yes, there was a scene before the halfway point which had me angrier at any book scene (and I can easily recall at least 3 books which have had a similar sort of betrayal scene that did not anger me even half as much as this one did) than I'd ever been. So much so, that I was this close to quitting out on the read. Even now, I'm still pissy when I think about what went down.

But at least I got some satisfaction in this:
"I guess you do want revenge," Ruthless me whispered.
You bet your sweet ass, I do.

I'm grateful that this author was able to turn things around for me. I didn't have much faith, to be honest. In the end, the story was quite the entertaining journey. The Dark Duet may not be an easy read, but it's definitely an interesting one. I hope to read more from C.J. Roberts in the future.

Not to be too much of a fly in the ointment but...

There were a few minor complaints :

1. This book needed more editing. Aside from the obvious swapping of you're and your, as well as a few typos, there were several instances where sentences probably should have been rearranged for easier readability. Given that I'm a huge comma abuser (I stick them everywhere in a haphazard fashion), I won't try to argue where the commas should go, but even I had a few moments of wondering if there was a better way to get a point across other than slapping in a bunch of commas to break up sentences :

"So, according to Caleb and Muhammad Rafiq, Demitri Balk, also referred to as, Vladek Rostrovich, is supposed to be there?

or another example...

"Will, Rafiq, be there?"

2. There were too many "styles" of writing going on : There were past scenes and there were present scenes - sometimes switching when you didn't know it was going to happen. The first couple of chapters took some getting used to. Aside from the regular past and present scenes, there were also memories, dreams and flashbacks in italics. As well, there were also first person points of view mixed with third person points of view. If just a couple of methods had been used instead of all of the above, the read would have felt more cohesive than it did.

End note... This part's my fault. Even though I warn against romanticizing this story, I can't help but imagine Paul Walker as Caleb ever since someone else brought him up as a casting choice. And hot damn, it's a strange war in my head not to drool over the rapist, slave-holding asshole when he's this hot. Apparently, I'm warped...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Seduced in the Dark.

message 1: by Katy (new) - added it

Katy Commenting seems to be working okay, and so was my "general status update," but I can't get any of my "likes" to take.

Loederkoningin It's like a buddy read!^^

Carina Sucks that you can't update hon. I'm not havin any problems...
Barely 16% in, and already a mind f@ck!

Shana I just started this book a well. Working days this week so I don't have as much time to read so you'll probably finish before me.

Stacia (the 2010 club) Maybe it's just me. I seem to be missing notifications on other items and some are coming in very late. Haven't checked my update feed yet, so I don't know if likes are working again or not, but they weren't last night.

How fun that a few of us are reading it at once! I'm only about 10% in and probably won't get back to it until before bed tonight, but I'll have to see what everyone else is thinking tomorrow.

Leea I understand wanting to read light books, normally you're always up for some dark :) Can't wait to hear what you think about what you've read so far.

Stacia (the 2010 club) I am so sorry that I didn't start on Tuesday when you did but I've been bad about leaving books half-finished, so I wanted to buckle down and complete the one I'd already started. I'll go back and look at the comments you and Carina discussed when I'm finished.

Leea No worries, we can talk about it when you're ready. Give my brain some time to process what happened. haha!

Stacia (the 2010 club) Oh man. I was so pissed off at the (view spoiler) I seriously was in hate mode when that happened.

message 10: by Leea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leea Yeah, man he's so *uked up. He's the worst kind of abused Because he has fits on kindness that make you endure the bad just to taste the good. I did think the way it was written was so good.

Are you enjoying the book?

Stacia (the 2010 club) See review, haha.

Alexis *Reality Bites* OH. MY. GOODNESS. Yes! Fuck yes!! I love your review... So true Caleb's POV was crucial in this book. Talkin very crucial here.
I also peeped the different styles of writing...hmmm.
And Paul Walker mmmm **shakes head to rid it of dizziness** he is so DELISH:) **sighs**

Stacia (the 2010 club) Isn't he though? Sigh. I love that pic of him.

Searock Great, fab, insightful review. Love.

message 15: by Sali (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sali As always FUCKING AWESOME REVIEW MATE ;) big thumbs up & hi 5 to u :)

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) Wonderful review, Stacia!

Stacia (the 2010 club) Thank you ladies. Lots of love back to you!

Annie Brewer Ahhhh, I need to get on the CJ Roberts train....

Jenny - TotallybookedBlog Great review Stacia and that was the exact pic some of us Beta/advanced readers had in mind for Caleb. It's just perfect.

message 20: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth I appreciate the fact you can read this for me. I just don't think I can read this one right now. It sounds like a complete mind fuck ride, but with an impending move, I might hurt someone.

Stacia (the 2010 club) I don't blame you. I used to read more taboo books but my mind hasn't been in the right frame of mind to want to even go there right now. This one only happened because I wanted to see how everything ended.

Jenny, it appears that Paul seems to be the general consensus for Caleb. That's awesome.

Annie wrote: "Ahhhh, I need to get on the CJ Roberts train...."

That could so have a double meaning when you're talking about erotic books!

Annie Brewer Haha well I hear nothing but raves for this series even though its a bit dark mixed with Fifty Shades....but I love those! The darker and more fucked up, the better! lol

Stacia (the 2010 club) I don't think it's anything like Fifty at all but I'm also sort of jaded toward that series at the moment.

It's definitely dark and fucked up though.

message 24: by Leea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leea Stacia ~ mistress of mediocrity wrote: "See review, haha."

Love the review... you said a lot of what I thought. Plus you're not messed up, I wanted Caleb too.

Amanda (.---.--.-...-) This review is perfect! I pictured Paul as well and also wanted to scream (view spoiler) about a certain scene that still bothers me actually.

Stacia (the 2010 club) That scene really got to me. I had a hard time pinpointing why because I've read other scenes like this in books but I came to the conclusion that it bothered me more because it was like a cat playing with a toy, not because of real emotion or revenge...that messed with my head.

Leea, good to know that we can be messed up together. :)

♥Rachel♥ I'm very warped too, Stacia because in spite of all my revulsion, I was attracted to Caleb too. The scene that pissed you off so much is (view spoiler)

Stacia (the 2010 club) Yes, that was the scene. I agree that it made me feel better when she turned it around.

♥Rachel♥ This was the darkest tale I've ever read! I'm still a mess. But now a day and a book beyond, I can say that I'm mostly glad I read it. Although, I feel like I should have a good brain wash. Yep, still completely torn.

Sandra I'm around 35%. Thinking about what will happen that got you raging so much.

Stacia (the 2010 club) You'll have to come back and let me know what you thought of that scene. I'm assuming you'll recognize it when you get to it.

Sandra Que sera, seraaaaaa *singing*. Be patient. I'm reading less (two books at a time and come back to work after holidays :(

Stacia (the 2010 club) Aw, I understand.

Sandra Sure, I'll come back to you!

I know I still got half book or more to go, but right now I would complaint more about Livvy. So far, Caleb is well explained, in my opinion. Livvy has changed too much since #1. Of course, I need to finish and know what really happened. I'm going to bed to read a little bit more :)

Danna Wow!!!! You captured all of my thoughts with that review. I still don't get why, but I fell totally in love with Caleb. And yes, Paul Walker fits in my mental image of Caleb. I was wondering who could picture him, and it seems he's just sooo perfect for it! (By the way, sorry for all of my grammar mistakes, but I'm not a native English speaker! Though I'm doing the best I can)

Stacia (the 2010 club) Your English is great! I wouldn't have known. :)

message 37: by My (new) - rated it 5 stars

My Lay I just gotten through 50% of the book and im F***en Pissed off

Stacia (the 2010 club) You were probably thinking exactly what I was.

Annie Brewer Shit...doesn't sound good. I'm reading this but not that far. I still love Caleb. I know he's fucked up but I don't care..I'll still be kitten any day!! lol

Annie Brewer his*

Stacia (the 2010 club) He's definitely fucked up. It's hard to know how to feel toward him when he's so damaged and takes it out on Livvie. I was a woman torn between heart and mind, haha.

Sandra What a slow reader I am!
Anyway, as promised: my review, Stacia.

Joymzz ok, so i have to ask before i read the book..... by the end of the book... is Caleb dead?!?!?1 plzz tell me he is not! is he?! i honestly wont be able to handle it :(

Joymzz Stacia (Ace of Skates) wrote: "Answer [spoilers removed]"

thanks you !!! :)

message 47: by Sara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sara Yummy Paul Walker..now I know which scene you are talking about! Seriously, there were a couple of them that had me pissed and depressed. I was hating Caleb there for a while. really hating him..I'm surprised and thankful the author turned things around.

Sharon ∞❥ is an angst book junkie ❥∞ wonderful review Stacia....i think Paul Walker is a great choice!

Sonia ღ Stacia (the hype killer) wrote: "Oh man. I was so pissed off at the [spoilers removed] I seriously was in hate mode when that happened."

Ditto, Stacia! It made me cringe so bad!

Sonia ღ Excellent review, Stacia! :) You've summed up the book perfectly!

« previous 1