Liz Chapman's Reviews > Shark Girl

Shark Girl by Kelly Bingham

Jun 30, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: wish-list

A super-interesting YA read about what it is to lose a part of yourself and carry on. I never spent much time thinking about what it would mean to have a limb amputated. I think I've always sort of imagined that I'd be cheerful about it and learn to move on. But I think it's much more complicated than that. I think I'd probably spend about a day making jokes and being cheerful, and then I'd realize the reality of the situation and have a hard time adjusting. This was an honest look at what "heroism" actually is. I don't think it's immediately making jokes and being cheerful. I think it's crying and cursing and getting frustrated and being self-conscious but trying again anyway.

The other thing I hadn't thought about was this...shark attack videos are of REAL PEOPLE. I've never watched shark attack videos. I've never gotten excited about Discovery Channel's "Shark Week." But I think this book has caused me to make a conscious decision not to participate. Because it has a face now. Even if it's a fictional one. How do the victims of shark attacks feel about their videos? Some may willingly share them with others, but...I dunno, if it were me, I wouldn't want the worst thing that ever happened to me, a time when I almost died (or did die) shown on television for people to receive thrills.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shark Girl.