Jess the Romanceaholic's Reviews > Shelter Mountain

Shelter Mountain by Robyn Carr

** spoiler alert ** Looking at all of my friends' ratings of 4- and 5-stars for this book, I have to wonder if perhaps we may be thinking of different books.

To be perfectly fair, I have not read the first book (or any other book) in the Virgin River saga, and perhaps I would have enjoyed this one more had I done so.

However.

I actually skimmed a large amount of this book. Much of it read as a Public Service Announcement from a Women's Health Clinic mixed with what felt like a narration of some videos from High School Health Class. There was far too much detailed gynecology and obstetrics for my taste, not to mention brutal miscarriages, graphic births of stillborn babies, preachy asides about how one should ALWAYS use condoms, entire chapters focused on people that I frankly didn't give two shakes about*, and an absolutely ridiculous final confrontation. While I get that this is an early installment of what seemed to have always been intended to be a sweeping series, there were just far too many characters distracting from the story between what I had anticipated to be the main couple.

That said, the love story between Paige and John (Preacher) was WONDERFUL, and was the entire reason I forced myself to finish this book. While I was surprised that Paige didn't show more signs of PTSD, especially with all of the emphasis on the possibility of her having the disorder, watching a big gentle giant fall for a petite battered woman and her young son was a joy.

I would recommend this one to fans of battered heroines, but I do say to understand going in that this is far more of a story about the community of Virgin River as a whole than a straight up romance between the title couple.

2/5 Stars.

*Again, this probably had more to do with the fact that I'd never read the first book -- if I had, I probably wouldn't have felt the urge to skim over Jack and Mel's enormous parts in the story -- fans of the first book will likely adore their half of the book.
7 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shelter Mountain.

Donnajo I love this series I'm not finished with all the books but I think you need to read them in order to enjoy them. just because of the story of each characters. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy the 2nd book.

Jess the Romanceaholic Yeah, I'm almost positive I needed to read the first one, since Mel and Jack took up SO MUCH of the story. Still, all the (view spoiler) I think would have done me in anyway. I'm not that big on contemporary to begin with, which probably had something to do with it as well.