Mimo's Reviews > Team Moon: How 400,000 People Landed Apollo 11 on the Moon

Team Moon by Catherine Thimmesh

Jul 26, 2007

bookshelves: junior, non-fiction
Recommended for: Everyone, especially kids who like space and adults who display their "future astronaut" patch
Read in July, 2007

(Musical pairing: Man on the Moon by R.E.M.)

Let me start by saying that I was not one of those kids who was into space and NASA as a kid. But maybe if I had had this book, I would have been.
What sets Team Moon apart from other books on space or Apollo 11 is Thimmesh's approach to the topic. Instead of just telling the basic facts and focusing on the space race and the astronauts themselves, she focuses on the team effort of the mission. The success of the mission and lives of the astronauts depended on everyone from the parachute engineer to the seamstresses who sewed the spacesuits. Each chapter focuses on a different challenge or problem that needed to be solved in order for the mission to be successful.

The bottom line: Team moon is an excellent non-fiction book about space with riveting facts, cool photos, and a nice emphasis on teamwork and problem solving.

Fun Fact: The astronauts received training in photography before they left so that they would be able to capture the best snapshots possible of the moon.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Team Moon.

02/04 marked as: read

message 1: by Bradley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:43AM) (new)

Bradley Checked out or owned? Because it sounds awesome!

message 2: by Mimo (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:43AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mimo I knew you'd like them. I checked both this and the Phineas Gage one out with the idea in mind that they were the sort of books you would have liked when you were a kid.

message 3: by Bradley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:44AM) (new)

Bradley I think we may have shared too much of our childhoods with each other, because you read my mind.