Barbara (VampAngel)'s Reviews > The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon

3902029
Jul 01, 12

Read on July 01, 2012

I enjoyed it, but I didn't love it. It's clearly well done and I was glad to learn more about the condition. But it didn't really deeply resonate with me.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time.

07/01/2012

message 1: by Jim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jim I understand completely, VA, and thanks for liking my review(s)!

Barbara (VampAngel) Jim, thank you for your review. It was the reason I got the book. It was fascinating in a way and I'm glad I read it. So, thank you!

message 3: by Jim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jim You are very welcome! I appreciate your honest review, and I know that many readers did not connect closely with this story.

I have spent so much time trying to understand autism in the past few years. This book was really helpful for me to get a little closer to the thought process. But it is a very difficult condition to relate to for most people, and you can see that in many of the reviews.

I love your positive attitude, and your honesty! I hope your next read is perfect for you.:)

Barbara (VampAngel) I think that was my issue with the book. I didn't know much about the condition and I don't know anyone who has it. And I don't have any particular interest in autism, just a mild curiosity. So, for me the book was interesting and I learned a lot. However, it lacked that personal connection. I can't put myself in his shoes, or even the shoes of his parents (I'm childless). So, although I liked his dad and didn't like his mom much, I couldn't empathize with anyone on the page. That makes for a very detached reading experience. It was enjoyable and worth the time and money, but it didn't particularly pull on any heart strings. I think I was just too outside the situation.

message 5: by Barbara (VampAngel) (last edited Jul 01, 2012 07:16PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Barbara (VampAngel) PS: Just to be fair, his mom and dad were both deeply flawed people. Many of their actions were horrible, but as a woman I can't understand how a mother (view spoiler)

message 6: by Jim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jim Yes, those are all great observations, and I agree that one must be able to empathize with a key character in order to relate to a book.

In this case, the character flaws of the parents definitely made the book more difficult - that was true for me as well. (view spoiler).

I don't know this, but I am guessing the author would point out that (view spoiler)

I do understand perfectly your reaction to the book, and the reasons for it. It sounds as though you fully understood the core messages of the book, with the radically different thought processes of autism, and that is a good thing to come away with.:)