Diane's Reviews > Black Ships Before Troy

2010405
Aug 02, 12

bookshelves: for-my-classroom
Read in August, 2012

I'm pleased to have such a well written version of the Iliad (including the Aeneid's fall of Troy) for my sixth graders! Sutcliff does such a wonderful job with language in this translation that I plan to focus our English lessons on word choice, metaphors, similes, personification, extended metaphors, foreshadowing, and prediction. Additional lessons will include an historical timeline, Homer and Virgil, a discussion of translations to suit a particular audience, historical evidence of Troy and the pursuit of archeologists based on Homer's words, oral tradition to written tradition to theater to film, what makes a tale a classic, Greek gods, famous Greeks, famous Trojans, conflict of man vs. man, conflict of man vs. gods, fickleness of the gods, religion and worship rituals of ancient Greece.

I am so excited to bring this classic to my students. As we begin the school year, this will provide a powerful beginning for us. I hope I can instill love of mythology to my students as my teachers did for me so long ago. (Make that a mere 40 years ago!)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Ships Before Troy.