Nichole's Reviews > North and South

North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell

Oct 21, 2008

bookshelves: bookclub2

Elizabeth Gaskell is a remarkable writer. I enjoyed all of the different facets she built into her story. There is something for everyone.

Two characters stand out to me: Margaret Hale and Mrs. Thornton.
Margaret is the one who is always there. She has to break the bad news to families when loved ones are lost, she has to care for sick people, she jumps in when people need defending, and when someone needs a companion to talk with…she is there. I think we all would love to have a friend like Margaret Hale (and the world would be a better place if we could be a friend like her, too.)

Mrs. Thornton is woman who’s strength is unquestionable. She went from being dirt poor to one of the wealthiest women in the city. However, she remembered the travel upward and knows that the fall can be just as quick. The pride she has in her son is astounding. And although her feelings toward Mrs. Hale seem harsh, I do not think that she acted any differently than any other woman would. What a woman.

I watched the BBC rendition of the book and it was good. It helped explain a few things more while ignoring others. Overall, I think that it was a nice representation of a great book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read North and South.

Elaine I have not read the book yet, but have seen the movie (BBc version) and become obessed with it for like a month. I have the book and am very excited to read it. I am in the middle of another elizabeth gaskell book which I have to get back the library. Then I will read it. Have you read aything else she has done?

Nichole Like I said, the movie helped me visualize some of the parts of the book, but some parts in the movie I like a whole lot better in the book (specifically...the ending). This was my first book by Elizabeth Gaskell; if I found another by her that looked good, then I may read it as well.