Katie(babs)'s Reviews > On the Island

On the Island by Tracey Garvis-Graves

Sep 28, 15

Read from June 30 to July 07, 2012

** spoiler alert ** One of my favorite books this year is the former self published book, On the Island by Tracey Garvis-Graves. I first heard of On the Island because of excellent word of mouth from my fellow book bloggers, on twitter and on Goodreads. I had some reservations about reading this one mainly because of the fourteen year age difference between the two main protagonists and how their relationship transforms into a sexual one. The heroine is a thirty year old tutor to a sixteen year old boy who is in recovery from cancer. My main concern was if Tracey could pull of this relationship and write it in a way that's not uncomfortable or for a lack of a better word- “icky”.

I can say with surprising results, Tracey has done an amazing job, and I would recommend any reader of women's fiction or contemporary romance fiction to pick this one up. It has a Harlequin vibe to it, and I thought it would be perfect for the HQN or Mira line, for those readers who enjoy reading those books. But 40 agents rejected One the Island, including some publishers when Tracey decided to try and sell it. For shame traditional publishing! But in the end Tracey has gotten the last laugh. She took the publishing world by storm and has set up her own rules and now got a major publishing deal from a traditional publisher and sold her movie rights for On the Island.

Tracey is a self publishing fairy tale come to life and it’s well deserved. On the Island is one of the best self published books I ever read.

On the Island has the ultimate happily ever after I want in my romances I read. I got the warm fuzzies and I’m not ashamed to admit, I had to blink back a few tears when I finished reading. On the Island is a book about hope, survival, love and friendship. Tracey has accomplished this all with Anna and T.J.

If there is one book you read this year, please let it be On the Island. A beautiful, romantic tale I was so happy to have read.
8 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On the Island.

07/05/2012
60.0% "Loving this book! I can't believe 40 agents passed on this. How stupid were they? Oh well, best thing to ever happen to Tracey as she hugs her 7 figure deal. Good for her!" 4 comments