Alicia's Reviews > Burn for Burn

Burn for Burn by Jenny Han

Jul 02, 12

bookshelves: chicklit, magical, multiple-voices, romance, abuse
Read from June 30 to July 02, 2012

** spoiler alert ** Even after finishing the book, I can say I'm intrigued but I also feel like I'm still waiting for something to happen. The ending was abrupt and messy, leaving everything to be decided (which I like actually, I hate neat, tidy endings) but I also think that it could have unfolded a bit slower. All of a sudden, we've got Stephen King's Carrie coming out of Mary, one of our three narrators, at the very end with only a hint of this "magic" toward the second half of the book. Reeve's in the hospital with life-threatening injuries, the evening didn't unfold like Kat, Mary, and Lillian had planned. All of their scheming led to this particular moment and it was rushed.

One criticism is that there are definitely too many characters to keep track of. Readers are introduced to the private lives or given a page description when they turn out to be very minor characters (unless they're planning a sequel, which could happen although I'd prefer it not to read: don't create neat and tidy ending after a second or third book). Characters like Mary's aunt, or the "other" boys like PJ, the drug-dealer friend of Kat's brother. Either flesh them out and make them more of the story or don't give them so much attention. The book is strongest focusing on Mary, Kat, and Lillian.

There were times where I felt like I must be evil because as back story's are revealed or trauma told, I wished there was more drama to it, although Mary's suicide attempt after an embarrassing episode from Reeve was drama. Kat's character was fun and punky, while Lillian was all over the place-- trying to defend her little sister from mean girls and sex-crazed boys to hugging on Rennie, her best friend turned enemy.

With all that said, again, I'm intrigued, I either wish the story went a different way or ended better to make me "really like it". Though, I would pick up books by the individual authors because they both brought something to the table.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Burn for Burn.

message 1: by Brittany (new) - added it

Brittany So curious about this one. What are you thinking so far?

Alicia I'm 130 pages in and intrigued. Not sure where it's going but the writing is fantastic and the changing voices keep it moving though, I could do with a few less characters to keep straight!