MB's Reviews > Fairy Metal Thunder

Fairy Metal Thunder by J.L. Bryan

Jul 04, 12

bookshelves: july-reading-challenge
Read from July 01 to 04, 2012

If I could've given this 3.5 stars, I would have. It was good, but there were certain aspects that keep me from giving it 4 stars.

Plot:
The plot was interesting, and definitely a different take on many of the fairy stories that I've read. Unfortunately, it just didn't seem plausible to me. I know what you're thinking, of course someone stumbling into the fairy world isn't plausible... that's why it's fiction, but there was something extra that bothered me. Jason randomly stumbles into the fairy world, sees crazy things, and is completely fine with it. He never once has the feeling that he's going crazy; he just accepts it, and he convinces all his bandmates that fairies exist, as well. I know this is just nit-picky, but it really bothered me.

It seemed a little stereotypical: boy pines after girl, girl has boyfriend, boy does something stupid to impress girl, etc. Of course, there is that little twist about fairies and magic instruments and whatnot.

Aside from that, the plot worked out alright, I think. There's definitely more to the series, since there isn't any real resolution to the problem. Hopefully the other books provide a little more closure.

Charactes:
Jason is the main character, and with him you find an assortment of other characters. Katie (Jason's younger sister), Erin, Dred (short for Mildred), and Mitch (or Mick) are the ones you see the most. None of the characters seem to be incredibly flushed out, though that probably comes in the later books.

I found Jason to be very hard to remember. Several times (including when I sat down to write this review) I had to look up his name, because it just wouldn't stick with me. I think it's because he doesn't really do anything exciting or noteworthy, other than steal instruments from the fairy world.

At times, there are chapters from Aoide's point of view. She is a member of the fairy band whose instruments were stolen. Though there are only two or three chapters about her, I still find her to be a more memorable character than Jason. I hope everything turns out okay for her.

Overall, it was a good book; not one of my favorites, but definitely not one that I didn't like. I don't know if I would read it again, but it's worth the read the first time for sure.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fairy Metal Thunder.

07/02/2012 page 117