Laura's Reviews > Lives of the Presidents

Lives of the Presidents by Kathleen Krull

Jun 30, 2012

bookshelves: 2012, picture, middle-grade, biography, presidential-election, nonfiction
Read in June, 2012

What were the presidents really like? Kathleen Krull explores their character traits and unusual characteristics. The most popular presidents have stories that cover several pages and describe both common and less well known information about our nation's leaders. Van Buren, Harrison, Tyler, and Polk all share a single page. The information is, to my knowledge, accurate and clearly written. Students who enjoy knowing more about the personalities of our leaders will be interested in learning about Andrew Jackson's wild side and Kennedy's wealthy lifestyle. While the presidents are described in a positive light, they are also presented as real people, some of whom made poor or off-beat choices.

Recommended for the middle school audience. Though the pictures are exaggerated caricatures that seem appealing to elementary students, the reading level and information presented are much more appropriate for older students. This is a great selection for U.S. history teachers and can be used as a quick read aloud throughout a course.

I also must confess that I didn't read this entire book. I chose a sampling to read about -- newer and older, famous and more obscure.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lives of the Presidents.