Jason's Reviews > The City of Ember

The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau

Jan 03, 11

bookshelves: apocalyptic, dystopic, fiction, young-adult
Read in January, 2011

My wife had read this book and purchased the movie recently. After watching the movie I decided to read the book and I'm glad I did!

The storyline is very engaging with a plot sequence that unfolds at just the right pace with enough twists and turns to keep one interested. I really enjoyed the 2 protagonists. I found myself rooting for them and wanting them to succeed in their quest. The atmosphere of Ember was very ambient; feeling claustrophobic and musty.

My favorite thing about this story is the way in which DuPrau presents comments on socio-political themes without being preachy or overt. The themes are present, but fit so subtly in to the story that they are more thought-provoking, perhaps, than if they were crammed down your throat (or eyes for that matter!).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The City of Ember.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Mason Good to know. We just bought/watched the movie too and I really liked it--except for the ending. I'll have to give the book a try!

Jason Book 2 is about the kids going back to rescue the city; bringing them above ground. Book 3 is a prequel. I hope to read 2 and 3. We have all 3 if you ever wanna borrow!