Hilda's Reviews > Knee Deep

Knee Deep by Jolene Perry

Jul 03, 12

bookshelves: arc, mundane-world-normal-people
Read from June 30 to July 03, 2012

We all know it’s Shawn and Ronnie forever.

Shawn and Ronnie have been in love since they’re twelve years old. Shawn is Ronnie’s first kiss, first love, first boyfriend, and first everything. Shawn was once the sweet boy who prepared Ronnie a very special picnic because he said the coolest girl in the world needs the most perfect spot for her first kiss. Ronnie believes that twenty years after, she would still be with Shawn, in love.

This is their senior year and Shawn starts acting weird. He is easily irritated, irrationally possessive, and tense all the time. His outbursts start leaving bruises on Ronnie’s body. Ronnie keeps making excuses for Shawn’s strange behaviors. It must be temporary, because she can still see glimpses of the guy he fell in love with. Love means keeping up with your loved one in the hard time… right?

Things begin spinning out of control, and Ronnie is desperate to fix everything and has her perfect life back. Ronnie plays Juliet in a play while her best friend, Luke, plays Romeo. Shawn is the love of her life, but why does her heart flutter every time she sees Luke? Why does everything feel so easy and comfortable with Luke? When Ronnie’s and Juliet’s feeling mingle, she can’t see the difference between Juliet’s lines and her words anymore on stage.

Knee Deep is the kind of book that will suck you from the first passage. The descriptive words are beautiful and the atmosphere between the characters is so thick. I keep feeling that something bad is going to happen, and the tension makes me uneasy, nervous, and breathless at the same time.

It’s not like I can’t understand Ronnie. She’s a character I like from the beginning. She has overwhelming desire to fix anything wrong so she has always been the first who offers peace after her argument with Shawn. I think deep down, Ronnie has already known that there’s a crack in their relationship. She only refuses to see the crack, because she’s supposed to have her happy ending with Shawn.

They are in a destructive relationship, and throughout the book I just want Ronnie to admit it. Shawn might be Ronnie’s perfect guy once, but now, he’s a ticking bomb waiting to explode. For the life of Ronnie, I just want to shout out at her to please, please do what you know you have to do if you want to save your life.

Knee Deep is a wonderful book and I admire how much the characters’ feeling exposed in the story. Ronnie does make mistakes, but in the end she learns that sometimes, some things are not meant to be. This book deals with fairly hard issues and I’m very glad to tell you that the result is amazing.

There’s something incredible about being loved by someone I’ve known for so long. Like he knows me, loves me, and yeah, it’s this thing I can count on. Solid. Stable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Knee Deep.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sam I just finished this! I hope you like it too. :)

Hilda Thanks Sam! <3 I'm enjoying it so far. Honest answer please: did you need Kleenex when you read this? ;)

message 3: by Sam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sam It was moving... and frustrating... but I wouldn't say it had me in tears. ;)

Hilda Oh well. Thanks for the heads up! Better brace myself for this suffocating read. ;)

message 5: by ♥Rachel♥ (new)

♥Rachel♥ I want to read this one too. Can't wait to see what you think of this one, Hilda. :)

Hilda It's lovely and touching, Rachel! The story is not very sad either, so I think you're going to love it. x)

message 7: by ♥Rachel♥ (new)

♥Rachel♥ Lovely review Hilda. I wanted to read this before but even more so now! :)

Jasprit Such a beautiful review Hilda! Perry's writing definitely had me hooked too!

Hilda Thank you, girls! <3

Rachel, I hope you're going to pick up this book. Can't wait to hear what you think! :)

Jasprit, I know! Perry's writing might be my favorite thing about her books. It's very easy to get lost in her world of heartbreak! x)

message 10: by Sam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sam This is a great review, Hilda! I'm glad we felt the same way about this book. :)

Hilda Thanks, Sam! <3 Glad that we both enjoyed it! Like you said, this is not crying material although it's frustrating indeed. :D

I can't wait to see your review when it's up! :)