Holly's Reviews > The Garden of Eve

The Garden of Eve by K.L. Going

Oct 29, 2008

it was ok
bookshelves: juvenile-fiction, audiobook

Reviewing this book is hard because I am not quite sure why exactly I didn't like this book. This book was not what I expected. It was a mix of fantasy and reality and it seemed like Going couldn't decide which way to go. When Evie and Adam go into the alternate world it seems like an awkward break in the story. Although it explains the "curse" of the orchard, I don't know if it worked...maybe because the scenes weren't developed enough for my liking or because of the short time Going focused on it even though it was a major plot twist. Also, I think the whole Adam and Eve thing was too cute, if not a little contrived to blatantly show the reader what they could probably guess at if given the opportunity (the biblical references, etc). So, I don't know....it was okay. I'd probably suggest Ida B...and Her Plans to Maximize Fun, Avoid Disaster, and (Possibly) Save the World if I wanted a story about a young girl, an orchard, and a sick mother whose father can't seem to cope but eventually comes around.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Garden of Eve.