Julia's Reviews > I Remember Nothing: and Other Reflections

I Remember Nothing by Nora Ephron

2095931
Jun 30, 12

Read in June, 2012

The fabulous Nora Ephron wrote this at 69, two years before her premature death from complications from leukemia. It's a short book, a collection of anecdotes about her life, thoughts on things that annoy her and how it feels to be getting old. Although she doesn't mention her health, she alludes to it when she lists things that she will and won't miss after she passes on, and thanks her doctors at the end.

Nora is - was - a wonderful writer and she can tell stories that don't amount to much in such a way that you enjoy every moment of the telling. I especially enjoyed her thoughts about how your memory goes as you get older - how you start off thinking it's somewhat amusing that you can't locate the name of a movie you saw or a book that you read, but how you eventually start to feel disconnected from the life that you have lived because you can't remember huge chunks of it, even though some insignificant details stick insistently in your brain.

I liked this book. It's both funny and melancholy. It makes you think about small things that you don't usually think about and it makes me sad to think that this will be the last book she wrote.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Remember Nothing.