Misty's Reviews > Alice in Zombieland

Alice in Zombieland by Gena Showalter

Aug 12, 2012

bookshelves: own, recieved-for-review
Read from August 08 to 11, 2012

Although Gena Showalter has an extensive back catalogue I've only read one other book by her before so I wasn't sure what I would be getting with Alice in zombieland. It turned out that what I got was a fabulous book, full of action, suspense, some laugh out loud one liners and great characters.
I really loved Gena's concept on zombies and it's like nothing I've seen before which gave this book a really unique spin.
I wouldn't say that this is an Alice in wonderland retelling, more of a parody if anything, but I loved the little bits she pulled from the original classic and put into this story, it was a lot of fun to try and 'spot' them.
Alice was a great leading lady, despite her traumatic experience she manages to keep her head held high and moves on. I loved how funny and feisty she was, she could definitely kick my butt lol and her curious nature.
Cole was awesome too, he was totally hot - of course! - Gena manages to give such vivid descriptions of him, I often found myself wishing I was Alice! He's also strong and protective and lots of other swoon worthy things.
The other character I loved was best friend Kat, she oozes confidence but not in an arrogant way, she's caring and just a great best friend, I hope everything works out for her as much as I hope it does for Alice and Cole.
I really can't fault the story or the writing of this book at all, it was a wonderful read, it had the right amount of humour, action and romance. It's not too gory so I think people who aren't usually fans of zombie books might enjoy it as much as I did.
I can't wait for book two and to see where this tale goes next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Alice in Zombieland.

08/09/2012 page 74