Anna's Reviews > Boys Don't Cry

Boys Don't Cry by Malorie Blackman

Jun 30, 12

bookshelves: young-adult
Read in June, 2012

A strong opening with a slightly arrogant but likeable hero and enigmatic ex girlfriend making a surprise visit on the 'eve' of his anticipated transition into a university student. The rest of the novel sees him trying to redefine his world and expectations.

Blackman uses the conceit of the 'uninformed boyfriend' to expand on the trials and joy of looking after a baby for a parent of any gender. My problem with it was that after about half way through it became a little too much like a baby manual. I felt like I was being lectured and Dante's transition from reluctant boyfriend to contented father ran a little too smoothly for me. The parralel storyline with the younger brother Adam comes into its own in the last third of the novel and pulls it out of the doldrums. Not sure if this would be enough to keep a boy reading it though. I have to say I felt the middle needed heavier editing, though oversall there was some great writing here, and as my daughter said; it made a change for a YA book to have a different kind of romance and resolution.

I would certainly give it to a teenager to make them think about the responsibilities of parenthood: I think girls would finish it, not sure about boys though, which makes me feel that Blackman has missed a trick here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Boys Don't Cry.