Meg's Reviews > The Columbus Affair

F 50x66
Jun 30, 2012

liked it
Read in June, 2012

It was a bit of a slow slow start for me on this one but as it got going I got into it. It is an easy summer read for historical fiction. It claims that Christopher Columbus was a converso and really a Jew who left for the New World searching for a place for the jews to worship freely. Thinking he was going to Asia, where word had it Jews were already living, he landed on Jamaica. Apparently the idea is possible and Columbus was stuck on Jamaica for over a year. He unloaded three chests onto the island whose contents were unknown. I learned how discriminated against the jews really were even in the new world. The received the right to vote years after even the native and african american population.

The fiction follows several people as they search for the treasure that Columbus hid on the island that they believe to be Jewish artifacts. The setting is in Jamaica, and Prague. It is a good guy/bad guy chase much like a National Treasure movie.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Columbus Affair.