Bracy Ratcliff's Reviews > The Colorado Kid

The Colorado Kid by Stephen King

Jul 04, 12

Read from June 29 to July 04, 2012

In many ways it was typical Stephen King--weird. It's a story of two old newspapermen telling a story, that isn't a story, to their young intern. The title character, The Colorado Kid, was found dead, years ago, but how he got to that little island off the coast of Maine, why he was there, what happened just before he died, would forever remain a mystery. So, the mystery had no beginning and no end--just a middle. And, that's the story. Weird, right?

In the Afterward King said, and I paraphrase, that "wanting to know" the answers to the mystery was more important and more satisfying than knowing. I agree with that, in this case. At the end, which wasn't an end, I didn't really care how the Colorado Kid made the nearly impossible trip from Colorado to Maine, in the time allowed; I didn't care what happened to his wallet, his suit coat, tie, or overcoat. I didn't care where he got the steak on which he choked to death or what happened to the piece he didn't eat. It doesn't matter to me where he got the Russian coin in his pocket. Murder, suicide? No one will ever know, and that's OK with me.

Most readers have probably had this experience--you read a really good story then it's over and you're a little sad and disappointed just because it's over. Not so, with this one--it can live on and on in your imagination. You can make it as simple or as complicated & sophisticated as your imagination allows. I have my own theory about the Kid's death, but I'll keep it to myself.

I recommend this to all readers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Colorado Kid.