Natalie's Reviews > The Price of Motherhood: Why the Most Important Job in the World Is Still the Least Valued

The Price of Motherhood by Ann Crittenden

Aug 20, 12

Read from June 29 to August 20, 2012

I started reading this for a book club, but could only stomach about half of it. While I certainly agree that motherhood (and parenthood) is extremely undervalued and sometimes discriminated against by current society, the author's view of families and priorities is pretty different than mine. Her focus always comes back to money and prestige as being the most important markers of success and fairness, and with mothering (good mothering) you'll never get that. The last straw was when she started saying that mothers who earned money produced better kids because they were stronger and more money in the family would be spent on the kids, also asserting that mothers in families where fathers earn the only income have little control and knowledge of how the money is spent. Is she living under some 1950's feminist rock?? She seems to think we'd all be better off if we lived in France where the government pays for leisurely maternity leave and child care so the moms can all go back to work (wonder what the tax rate is??) while the kids all go to wonderful (I'm sure it's so much better than their own mothers) day care. Bleh.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Price of Motherhood.