Noah's Reviews > A Voyage to Arcturus

A Voyage to Arcturus by David Lindsay

Jun 29, 12

bookshelves: science-fiction
Read in June, 2012

I'm not really sure what to make of this book. My response through reading it was that it was a book of sinister beauty and one that attempted to walk a fine line between utter destruction and eternal life. Nor do I think I would ever phrase a response in such a way again, but Lindsey's writing leads one to such thoughts and modes of response. But now that I have finished I find that my response is utter distaste and complete dismay. I won't suggest that I fully understand the philosophy, but if I do, even in the slightest, I can think of few things more disheartening and low. The draw of nihilism has never been one that touched me in any fashion and I find any interest in it confusing and damaging. Why choose to believe something like nihilism? In the end the only thing I really took for the book's philosophy is the lesson that nihilism is a horrible philosophy.

How sad, that someone who could grasp at such amazing images and such fascinating philosophical stories ended his novel with, well, nothing.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Voyage to Arcturus.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Noah (new) - rated it 1 star

Noah Kella,

I'm really very sorry you didn't care for my review but, you know, you could have been a bit more polite. Or open to other people's opinions. The point of this site is not to simply find other people with the same opinion as yourself but to engage in literary discussion. If you enjoyed the book then why not argue with me instead of reverting to name-calling? I don't claim to be "psudo-intellectual" or even "intellectual." I read the book, had an opinion, and put it out there. If you could, instead of throwing out a response such as this, why don't you instead tell me what the problem REALLY is with my review. If the shoehorned big words are the only problem then I doubt you'd be this upset.

I hope to hear your response.