Jim's Reviews > Armageddon: A Novel of Berlin

Armageddon by Leon Uris

Oct 04, 12

bookshelves: classics, historical-fiction, read-2012
Read from September 15 to October 04, 2012

This is a big sprawling book that covers a number of years and multiple characters. While the focus is on the Berlin airlift it begins in the waning years of WWII. while reading it I thought it was one of Uris' earlier works because the writing simply isn't as strong as some of his other novels. But, this is was written in the 60s after he had written and published some other well known novels. I do like big historical novels that educate me on historical events and this well researched book did share a lot of fascinating information on the time period. At well over 600 pages in hardback, he spends a lot of time developing his characters and bringing them to life. We also can get a sense of the cold war mentality that drove the events of the time and, quite frankly, make this a weaker book than it should have been.

I am not into "spoilers" so I will not dwell on some of the tragic events that lessened my enjoyment of the story. I would also say that one of the main characters is the airlift itself. Uris shares with us not only how it came about but the logistics involved in supplying a blockaded city by air.

5 stars for history and 3 stars for character development.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Armageddon.