Cassie C's Reviews > Destined

Destined by Allison Kraft

Jul 01, 2012

Read in June, 2012

While flying across the Atlantic on the centennial anniversary of the Titanic's tragic maiden voyage, Apolline Greer, last in a long line of vampire hunters, finds herself suddenly transported from her airliner cabin to an eerily familiar ocean liner cabin—as well as the entirely unfamiliar body of her ancestor, Noelle Greer. Upon learning that she is, in fact, on board the very ship she’s been fascinated with all her life, she knows there's only one thing to do: get off as soon as possible.

But whether by destiny, freak coincidence or a really vivid dream, Apolline finds that her trip back in time comes with three very good reasons to stay on board: Alexander Walker, a handsome and charming fellow vampire hunter; Cristof, the vampire that has tormented her family for generations and very likely killed her own mother; and Sasha, the vampire Noelle was sent to kill.

Time, however, is not on Apolline's side. The Titanic is on a collision course with destiny, and she only has four days to complete her quest. What seemed like more than enough time at the start quickly becomes too short as she finds that hunting vampires on a luxury ocean liner is much more difficult than she expected. Sasha and Cristof become more elusive as each day passes, while her feelings for Alexander become increasingly complicated. As that fateful night approaches, will she regret her decision to stay and witness history first-hand?

Let me start off by saying, I am a HUGE Titanic fan. Much like Apolline, anything Titanic related that I can get my hands on, I read or watch. Titanic is still one of my favorite movies. The reason for telling you this, is that I might be slightly biased toward this book. So, on to the review...

At first, I was a little worried about this book, mixing vampire hunters and Titanic was a little weird. Sometimes when authors mix something like Titanic with the supernatural, I worry about how the story is going to go. Nevertheless, I thought this was a great book. The imagery and descriptions that Ms. Kraft provided were spectacular, I honestly felt like I was on the Titanic in parts. I instantly fell in love with Alex, and hoped that somehow they could end up together (however I will say that (view spoiler). The fight scenes were well described, and it felt like the action was jumping off the page. Even though the romance was what I term "insta-love," I found it a bit more acceptable in this book, and didn't mind it as much as I usually do.

If I could, I would have given this book 4.5 stars. The reason I couldn't give it 5 stars was because there were parts in the middle of the story that I felt dragged on a little bit. You were basically just reading about Appoline-technically Noelle- and Alex's daily life on Titanic. This consisted of either dining or researching in the library. Suffice to say, this became a little tedious, and I did start getting a little bored. During this part, I also felt that neither Alex nor Appoline cared about their true mission, (view spoiler). I also wish there could have been a bit more backstory at the beginning about Appoline's life as a vampire slayer. All you really know is that she slays vampires, receives her orders from a person she named Gibbs, and is (view spoiler). You never really find out about the mysterious Gibbs, or some other things, which kind of bugged me.

I would highly recommend this book to everyone. It easily appeals to many groups; time travel, vampires, historical events (aka Titanic), and Titanic lovers will enjoy this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Destined.