Todd Russell's Reviews > The Regulators

5198301
Jul 01, 12

bookshelves: horror, evil-spirits
Read from June 29 to 30, 2012

It seems funny writing that this is my least favorite Stephen King writing as Richard Bachman book because it doesn't feel like it was written by Richard Bachman. How can this story be by the same Bachman responsible for The Running Man, The Long Walk, Thinner, etc? Now the only other Bachman I haven't read is Blaze, but with that one at least it was written right after Carrie. This book has shaken my confidence in King being able to channel his inner Bachman any longer, but I'll hold out hope.

This reads like a dozen or so more chapters as a dream-like sequence from Desperation. Some children and adults have had role reversals and many (all?) of the same characters in Desperation are here. This sounds like it might be a cool experiment--hey, I'll give kudos to any author who takes chances rather than trots out formulaic tales--but unfortunately this one comes up short because of one missing thing.

Bachman's voice is MIA. This story just isn't angry enough to be a Richard Bachman book. There isn't a single good enraged character in Regulators. I kept hoping one of the good guys would bust out some old-fashioned, Bachman whoop ass.

The story idea isn't bad (this is only part that saves this from one star). Tak, from Desperation, is inside an autistic child. Tak turns the street where the child lives into a cross between The Twilight Zone and Bonanza (not literally), shutting them from the rest of civilization in a street fight from hell. The execution? Meh.

It might not be the worst thing I've read by Stephen King, but it's surely near the bottom. Avoid this book unless you want to read everything King has written. Desperation is easily the better of the two books, but that's not a huge vote of confidence.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Regulators.