Paul Lunger's Reviews > Heft

Heft by Liz   Moore

Jul 02, 12

Read from June 29 to July 02, 2012

Liz Moore's "Heft" is a story that almost feels incomplete in a way due to an ending that doesn't work for me. The story itself is a parallel tale of Arthur Opp a former college professor who has a weight issue & hasn't left his house in a decade & of Kel Keller a high school senior whose mother, Charlene Lindsay, causes him more trouble than normal. There is a connection between the 2 as Kel's mother is a former student of Arthur's. The title of the story can almost be as much about the weight of situations & life in general as much as it is Arthur's weight issue. Arthur's story is pretty much about how he deals w/ the weight issue & the introduction of a cleaning lady, Yolanda who changes his life in a way he never thought. For Kel, here is a promising athlete whose life is turned upside down by the actions of his own mother that cause him to be faced with a decision that no 18 year old should face. Moore's story is easy to follow & is nicely divided up at the beginning as to give enough background that helps explain our characters & how we get where we are in the story. If the ending were a bit different things might've worked better for me as a reader, but overall not a bad book.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heft.