Andree's Reviews > The Sugar Queen

Jun 10, 15

bookshelves: 2012, 2015
Read on June 29, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 2

2015 reread

Upgraded this to five stars from four.

Because I love this one, and it might be my favourite of SAA's. I flipped through Garden Spells yesterday, and it's my second favourite, I think (mostly because when I say "I flipped through" what I actually mean is, I read one of the stories.

This one, I really like though. There's just something about it. Although I have to say, I almost entirely forgot about one of the sub-plots.

Basically, this book makes me happy.

2012 review

This is a perfectly fluffy novel. I really, really enjoyed it. It has its flaws, definitely. And it is rather predictable. Plus, there are are a couple things that don't really come together in the end, or rather, it's not that they don't come together, but you kind of wonder what the purpose of them was in the first place, because they don't seem to serve one, other than the fact that they're just fun details. But it's also just lovely. It was exactly what I needed today. More then once I found myself grinning (or giggling) like a fool and thinking, "I enjoy this." Which is really all that you can ask for in a book.

There's really no other word for it but charming, even if that was the adjective I used to describe the last book I've read. Sometimes it's true. This book gave me the happy feeling of a good story. I want to read more of the author's books. I was charmed.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sugar Queen.

Katie I've only read one by her (The Girl Who Chased the Moon), but YES. It made me feel the same way. I've been thinking lately that I really need to read more of her books.

Andree Yeah. I've only read this one, but I remember when I was at the bookstore buying it, that it was hard to decide between a few of her books. So it might be time to indulge in another.

If you're thinking of trying another one by her, this one is kinda fun. Like I said, not perfect, but really enjoyable.