Chris Craddock's Reviews > With My Body

With My Body by Nikki Gemmell

Jul 03, 12

bookshelves: contemporary-fiction
Read in June, 2012

Nikki Gemmell's With My Body is a pretty good book that is not just some kind of Harlequin Romance--a bodice ripper or heavy breather of interest only to frustrated women who have to be home by 12 O'Clock. It covers a lot of questions about love, marriage, and the need for writers to be brave and express their truth in spite of what other people think. The concern for keeping the journals hidden and the consequences of having them read by the wrong people are also a subject of Nikki Gemmell's previous book, The Bride Stripped Bare.

Gemmell has a way with words, and she turns her phrases with occasional Aussieisms that really add to the flavor, even if you don't quite know the precise definitions. Though the book has many pages, the short "lessons" surround the words with a lot of white space, so it is not really as long as it seems. Plus, you are carried along by the story, wanting to know what happens next, getting caught up in the breathy prose. I burned through it way ahead of schedule. I would recommend this book to readers of a literary bent, mostly women, but also men who are interested in how women think.

The Moth's Kiss, A Review by Chris Craddock of Nikki Gemmell's With My Body

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read With My Body.