Christy's Reviews > Cordelia's Honor

F 50x66
Jul 03, 12

bookshelves: library, need-to-get
Read from July 01 to 03, 2012

5 stars for the omnibus edition, because these books really belong together, and because of her insightful afterword. I can tell this will be a volume I re-read multiple times.

4 stars for Shards of Honor
Cordelia is a wonderful character, and watching her relationship with Aral develop is a real pleasure. The contrast between Barryan and Betan world-views is a major element, with the awful price of honor the major theme. My only complaints are that in telling this story, Bujold is a little too elliptical at times, leaving a bit too much left unsaid. But that's a minor quibble with this fascinating introduction to the Vorkosiverse.

5 stars for Barryar
This is as good a sci fi novel as I'm likely to read, by which of course I mean that it hit all the right notes for me. This book includes so many elements of a great novel: a fascinating and varied cast of characters, lots of twisty intrigue, and adventure with the highest of stakes But what makes this book so emotionally searing is something that Bujold discusses in her afterword: this book explores the price of becoming a parent, particularly a mother, and does so not only for Cordelia and Aral, but with all the supporting couples providing 'symphonic variations' on the theme. I don't think you have to relate to this aspect of the book in any way to find it a terrific story (except insofar as we all have parents of one sort or another), but to me it adds a much deeper emotional resonance. If it weren't for the other eight books in the series that I haven't read yet, I'd start re-reading this right away.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cordelia's Honor.

message 1: by Carrie (new)

Carrie Great review. I haven't read Barryar yet, but I already have it on audio.

Did you know you can get The Warrior's Apprentice free from Baen books in ebook?

Christy I think you'll really like this one.
Thanks for the link for Warrior's Apprentice. I'll check it out.
See you tonight!

Carrie wrote: "Great review. I haven't read Barryar yet, but I already have it on audio.