Olga Godim's Reviews > A Night Like This

A Night Like This by Julia Quinn

Jun 29, 12

bookshelves: romance

Whenever I want a respite from serious issues and fictional battles between good and evil, I turn to one of my favorite genres: light romance. This novel is among the best of them, as are all Quinn’s novels. Written with the author’s staple humor, the novel follows two protagonists, Anne and Daniel. She is a governess. He is an earl, of course, in 1820s England. Their relationship is fated to fail, or is it? After all, everything is possible in romance, especially when the heroine is uncommonly beautiful and the hero uncommonly good, as in ‘every woman’s dream’ good. Despite his cartoonish goodness, Anne seems real, and her depth makes up for her beloved’s doll-like glamor.
The plot is solid, although the tale has its share of problems. One of them is a rather weak villain, but we don’t know it until he comes on the scene close to the end. Judging by Anne’s recollections of him, he should be pretty evil, so her fear of him contributes to the tension in the story.
Of the secondary characters, the best are Anne’s charges – the three girls she teaches, aged from 10 to 15. Their siblings’ banter is funny, even hilarious at times, reflecting the author’s joy in the English language and its quirks.
Overall, a delightful read, fluffy but peppered with real gems. One of them – a quote below, where Anne’s pupils talk about her:

Harriet let out a delighted gasp. “Maybe she has formed a tendre for one of the stable boys.”
“Oh, for heaven’s sake,” Elizabeth scoffed. “One of the stable boys? Really.”
“Well, you must admit, it would be very exciting if she had.”
“For whom? Not for her. I don’t think any of them even know how to read.”
“Love is blind,” Harriet quipped.
“But not illiterate,” Elizabeth retorted.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Night Like This.