Maggie (Raindrop Reads)'s Reviews > The Frog Princess

The Frog Princess by E.D. Baker

Jun 29, 12

bookshelves: own-it, annoying-main-character, read-2012, childhood-readings
Read on June 25, 2012

I picked this one up on Monday when I was bored out of my mind. I couldn't go to the book store that morning, and I had this book just sitting in my closet. I remembered how much I had adored this series when I was a little kid, so I picked up the book and began to read.

Princess Emeralda (Emma for short) is the princess, and sole heir, of her kingdom, Greater Greensward. Emma is no normal princess, and she would much rather spend time in the swamp that's right next to her castle than doting on dresses and hairstyles. Her mother often tries to primp her and create a perfect princess, so Emma spends far more time with her Aunt Grassina than her mother. Her Aunt Grassina is the Green Witch, the most powerful and kindest witch in the kingdom. Grassina loves to spend time with Emma, always encouraging Emma to use her magic, though Emma isn't very good, so she doesn't practice very often.

Always trying to make her daughter into a "proper princess," she invites Prince Jorge of East Aridia to visit the castle for a day to give Emma some royal company. Emma heads to the swamp to avoid the awkward encounter.

Upon entering the swamp, Emma encounters a talking frog who claims to be Prince Eadric of Upper Montevista. He tells her that a witch turned him into a frog and that the only way to return to his princely state is to receive a kiss from a princess. After constant badgering, she finally agrees, and kisses Eadric. But rather than Eadric becoming Human, when Emma opens her eyes, she has become a frog.

From there, Emma and Eadric must figure out how to return to their human forms, making a few animal friends along the way.

I found Emma to be a very annoying main character in this book. She was fairly whiny, though not the whole time (thank goodness). She could have been a lot more agitating, but she also could have been a LOT better. Oh well.

However annoying the main character was, it still wasn't a bad children's story. One of the best things about reading children's fiction is that there's no cursing, so it was very clean in addition to the fact that the story line wasn't bad. It was a little cliche with the whole "frog princess" thing, but it still had an original plot and it wasn't a bad read.

Either way, it wasn't bad for nostalgia purpose (a fun re-surfacing of my childhood), and it also had a story line that was interesting enough to make me read the sequels.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Frog Princess.