Gorfo's Reviews > The Sun Also Rises

Jul 08, 12

bookshelves: classic, banned-challenged
Recommended for: Ana Drinovan
Read from July 03 to 07, 2012 — I own a copy

I am absolutely in love with Hemingway's writing style. I've often heard people exclaiming over the beauty of Hemingway's prose- their eyes wild and their arms flailing wildly, as they try to explain to the non-Hemingway reader. Before reading The Sun Also Rises I never quite understood this almost cultist worship of his literature. Now that I've read it, I fear that I too am one of those arm flailing people. I am forced to pronounce myself completely conquered by Hemingway's spell. The prose is so rugged and athletic! The description is so spartan! Instead of describing all the good aspects of a thing Hemingway will bluntly state "It was good." It's an amazing contrast compared to most literature!

However despite my new found love for Hemingway, I have to admit that the book itself was nothing special. The Sun Also Rises is a typical lost generation novel. All of the characters are a little offbeat, and all are stumbling to find their way. Romance is unkind to everyone in the novel, marriage & debt are taken lightly, divorce runs rampant, and nothing really happens in the end. If anything the book was probably more of am a-z guide of alcoholic beverages. The characters were forever in different states of drunkenness, varying from a little "tight" to absolutely "blind".

However, this book nevertheless stands out, because honestly this is the only book that has ever gotten a three just for the prose. I suppose people read Hemingway for the style, not the story.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sun Also Rises.

06/29/2012 page 35
14.0% "He wanted me to go to Cannes with him. Told him I knew too many people in Cannes. Monte Carlo. Told him I knew too many people in Monte Carlo. Told him I knew too many people everywhere. Quite true, too. So I asked him to bring me here."
07/07/2012 page 247
100.0% "That was it. Send a girl off with one man. Introduce her to another to go off with him. Now go and bring her back. And sign the wire with love."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ana (new) - added it

Ana Your review alone has me interested! :) I'm sure we have this floating around somewhere...

Gorfo Ana wrote: "Your review alone has me interested! :) I'm sure we have this floating around somewhere..."

If not you can definitely borrow my ancient copy! I still want to borrow Breakfast of the Champions!!! :) Trade off?

message 3: by Ana (new) - added it

Ana Gorfo wrote: "If not you can definitely borrow my ancient copy! I still want to borrow Breakfast of the Ch..."

Oh yeah!! I forgot that was going to happen - that sounds perfect!