Brenna's Reviews > The Dead I Know

The Dead I Know by Scot Gardner

Aug 16, 12

bookshelves: 2012, penguin, arc, blog-tour, book-tours
Read from July 30 to 31, 2012

The Dead I Know is one of those books where it's nearly impossible to have an idea of what to expect without having read the book - it's mysterious, and not entirely clear where the story is going at first.

And while it isn't one that instantly made me fall in love, it did have its own charm that won me over in the end. A gritty yet hopeful story mixed with a fresh outlook on issues surrounding death make for a enjoyable read.

Reasons to Read:

1.A story with guts:

I loved that Scot Garnder wasn't afraid or hesitant to tackle some heavy issues with The Dead I Know. It took me a little while to really get into the flow of the story, but once I did I found myself questioning some of the same issues which Aaron struggled with regarding death and grief. These aren't easy issues to bring up, and I appreciated that they were handled carefully yet still remained poignant. I loved that this was a story with maturity, rather than just fluff.

2.A mystery that isn't overbearing:

I'm such a sucker for any sort of mystery plotline, but I liked that the one in The Dead I Know wasn't a typical whodunnit plot (although I enjoy those, too). In fact, it took me a little while to really figure out what the actual mystery was, and why it was so important to figure out what had happened.

3.But there's still something heartwarming:

But what I really loved about this story is that amidst all the ugliness, there's still optimism and hope. For every bad thing that happens, and every bad person, there's something (or someone) good to balance it out. I loved seeing all these kind and generous characters help out in their own little ways - it's something so reminiscent of real life, and it just made my heart glow to read about it.

That being said, I did feel a bit like the pacing was off for most of the story. It was a fairly slow book in terms of pace, and it isn't until the very end that things finally come together and you realize how important the build up was.

I also had a hard time relating to Aaron at times, because he felt so cold and distand and extremely mature for his age. It could be hard to pin down his character at times, but I think that was a crucial part of the story and of his development.

I do have to say though that I was so pleased with how unique this book felt; not entirely gritty, but a bit dark in its own way. Just enough to create its own bit of charm and stand on its own two feet as a fairly different type of YA book.

ARC received from Penguin Canada for blog tour; no other compensation was received.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dead I Know.