Nick's Reviews > Wizard and Glass

Wizard and Glass by Stephen King

Jan 26, 09

bookshelves: horror, fantasy
Read in January, 2009

As many other reviews say, Wizard and Glass is a relatively frustrating deviation away from Roland's quest for the Dark Tower. There are 100 pages at the beginning and 100 at the end that follow Roland, Jake, Eddie, and Susannah (and Oy), but the middle 500 pages are dedicated to a tragic tale of love in Roland's past.

Although the flashback has a slow start, I feel that it contributed to my understanding of Roland and his dark and mysterious past. The characters were interesting and the locale was fun, but I do feel that some parts could have been edited. There were sections where Roland and his friends were waiting and I felt like I was waiting...and waiting.

Another complaint is that Roland is supposed to be 14 during the events of the flashback, which to me is not the age that he is written in Wizard and Glass. It seems that Stephen King ignores Roland's young age most of the time, leaving my imagination thinking that he is still the old, wisened gunslinger he always was.

As a side note, I have the newer Plume edition of Wizard and Glass and Dave McKean's artwork is incredible, as always. The distorted and sometimes disturbing illustrations fit the feel of the work perfectly.

Wizard and Glass is a huge but rewarding book to read. It contains a full story within itself and ends satisfyingly enough that I have no qualms taking a break from the Dark Tower for a while...but not for long.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wizard and Glass.