~Tina~'s Reviews > Touching Smoke

Touching Smoke by Airicka Phoenix

Jul 30, 12

bookshelves: e-book, young-adult, read-2012
Read from July 26 to 30, 2012

Sixteen year old Fallon Braeden is on the road with her mother for what seems like her entire life. Traveling from place to place, school to school, but never really understanding why they are on a constant move. Until one day, when the past and all its hidden secrets catches up to them in a dramatic reveal.

Wow, where do I even begin? There is quite a bit happening in Touching Smoke, so much so that I'm not even sure what I should say. I don't want to spoil anything big since I think half the fun of this book was learning alongside the main character Fallon. However, there are some things you should expect including; haunting dreams, a mysterious guy who seems to have a unreasonable and instant connection to Fallon, inexplicable hunger pains, fireball-throwing demons and an ultimate forbidden love story. I made none of that up!

I really enjoyed the writing. It was creative, vivid and rich with details that kept my imagination in over-drive. Airicka Phoenix crafted this story at such a fast paced by keeping the plot in a whirlwind of motion. In the very beginning of the story, I felt like I was stumbling just to keep up with what was happening, not that's a bad thing. It's almost like arriving late to a movie, missing the first half and trying to quickly figure out what’s happening. But I think this was intentionally done since this pretty much describes Fallon’s life. It made me even more interested to see how things would play out for this character. We really do learn along with Fallon and once we discover a few secrets everything started to click into place, making it easier to catch the momentum and enjoy the ride. Now I'd be lying if I said that I understood absolutely everything. There were a lot of unanswered questions leaving the character and the reader equally frustrated. But since this is a planned series, what's the fun in learning everything at once?

I really enjoyed these characters. Fallon is such a stubborn little thing. However, I found her reacting to things the same way I would, which was freaking the hell out, demanding answers and screaming when she couldn't get them. It must be hard to not understand your own life when everyone is always keeping you in the dark for your own protection. A lot of her reactions were very realistic, so she came across as likable.
Isaiah would have to be my highlight in this story. What an intoxicating force! Protective, fierce and loyal. Their love story has a remarkable twist that is warped with danger and need. But it's also laced with doubts for both the characters and the readers. The rest of the cast played their part well. I hated Garrison and his mutated goons, but I couldn't help but be fascinated with the things he's done.

Bottom line, I really enjoyed this one. I thought this was incredibly consuming and intriguing all the way through. I liked Phoenix's ideas. The story line was fresh and unique and this left me curious to see what happens next. Touching Smoke is a good start to what looks like a promising series.

Special thanks to Airicka Phoenix for sharing your story.
11 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Touching Smoke.

♥Rachel♥ You had me at "fireball-throwing demons" lol! Actually there's a lot to this story that attracts me, the forbidden romance and a girl discovering her life isn't what it seems. I love discovering that right along with the character. Awesome review Tina. :)

~Tina~ Thanks guys! This book was loads of fun! Hope you enjoy the experience as much as I did:)

message 3: by Arlene (new)

Arlene This sounds like my kind of book. Awesome review Tina! :D

~Tina~ Thanks babe! I think you'd like it;-)

message 5: by Amber (new) - added it

Amber Woot! Great review, Tina! So glad you liked it. This makes me want to read it much sooner!

~Tina~ Thanks Amber!!