Molly's Reviews > The Godfather

The Godfather by Mario Puzo

Jun 29, 12

This is one of those rare cases in which the movie is drastically better than the book. The story in the book is fine - essentially the same as the movie - but it never grips the reader. Or at least not me. Maybe it's partially because I saw the movie first, so was expecting the same, streamlined plot, but I was bored by all the tangents the book went off on. Characters who were no more than tangential in the movie were given entire chapters-worth of discussion in the book. Normally, that would be fine, except they were repetitive and boring.

I was also disturbed by the tone of the book. At first I thought the author was just doing a really good job of illustrating the disregard the stereotypical mafia man has for women. Gradually, however, I came to suspect that the true misogynist is Puzo himself. His explict and slang-ridden description of an operation on a woman's reproductive parts convinced me this book was not intended for the enlightened woman's eyes. It is the literary equivalent of the old boy's club. Now, I realize the book takes place in the 1940s, when women's lib was relatively inchoate, but it was the prose, rather than the characters' words or actions, that gave this impression.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Godfather.