Erin's Reviews > Punk Farm

Punk Farm by Jarrett J. Krosoczka

Jun 29, 12

Read in June, 2006

Imagine, if you will, some farm animals with attitudes and musical talent. The hard-working farmer goes to bed at night. The animals would be smart too, as well, but instead, they fit in one last practice then start letting their barnyard friends into the barn for a good old fashioned rock concert. They'll pay for it the next morning, as they don't get any sleep and the farmer's ready for another day of work, but such is the life of a rock star.
I may be slightly partial to Punk Farm. I'm a children's librarian and I read it for the first time just over 6 years ago to a crowd of kids who came out for a summer reading storytime. It was my very first storytime and I've since become the children's librarian. My regulars know this is one of my favorites and parents come back with stories about how kids insisted on taking extra good care of it because it was "Miss Erin's favorite". I'm also one of those Punk Farm performers who goes all out... dresses up "rockstar", put on every blingy ring and rocker shades, blow up the inflatable guitar. [I admit, I read the goat as if he'd been eating some "magical brownies".] You just have to embrace it; have fun with it. So yeah, slightly biased. But the kids love it.
They start singing along, and no matter this is not your mama's version of Old MacDonald, they don't care and they think the differences like "Ray roo here and ba beep there" are hysterical. There's humor for the adults, too. (Thank you, Wisconsin!) And I just love Jarrett's illustrations. I've bought every book he's made. Be sure to check out the PF "Old MacDonald" mp3 available online, and it's also in the works to be an animated film! Oh, and there's a sequel... another childhood favorite is given the PF treatment in Punk Farm on Tour!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Punk Farm.